Volunteer Make a difference.
The Humane Society of Central Illinois (HSCI) could not do what it does without volunteers. Together, we make a difference in the lives of thousands of homeless pets. We are grateful for the time, effort, and enthusiasm each volunteer brings to their important role at the HSCI. Volunteers rock!
Every volunteer makes a difference
We need volunteers at the Pet Adoption Center 365 days a year. Volunteers lend a helping hand by:
- Walking dogs (must be 18 years or older).
- Cleaning the cat rooms (we clean and disinfect every morning!)
- Doing yard maintenance such as, mowing, trimming bushes, picking up after the dogs, and more.
- Helping with laundry and dishes.
- Cleaning windows and office spaces.
- Brushing and socializing the cats.
- Supporting special events such as fundraising and pet outreach.
Become a volunteer!
We love seeing new faces at the Pet Adoption Center. Here’s what to expect when you join our great team of volunteers:
Support! Every volunteer attends the New Volunteer Class
- Find a volunteer class that fits your schedule in our event calendar, then use the registration link to sign up, along with anyone attending with you, and submit payment.
- The registration fee is $20 per adult. For this fee, one (1) child under 18 can accompany you, and is non-refundable.
- Payment is required to hold your spot, as seating is limited.
- Review and complete the Volunteer Waiver & Data form (one per volunteer) and turn it in when you come to the class.
Follow the pack rules
- Children (8-17) must be accompanied by a parent or guardian 25 years or older at volunteer training and each time they volunteer performing the same tasks.
- Only adults (18 and older) are permitted to work with dogs (in any way).
- Commit to at least four hours a month.
If you’re fulfilling Court Ordered Community Service, please request to participate in our Community Service Program by calling HSCI at (309) 451-1000. If accepted into the program, you’ll receive one-on-one training and orientation.
We our volunteers!
We always need dog walkers
Volunteer Appreciation Day on the Cat Floor
Putting in a hard day's work to clean out the weeds
Cats love our volunteers!
We 💜 our dog walkers!
Volunteers help at pet adoption events
Organize a Service Project
We receive many requests from groups who like to perform a few hours of volunteer service as part of a class requirement, club service project, or as a bonding activity. To arrange an activity, we normally need at least two weeks’ notice to arrange publicity and a volunteer supervisor. Please send us an email and include the number of people in your group, the type of activities you’re interested in, and the timeframe to complete the project.
Contact our supply drive chair to book a date and target group. Look at our wish lists to see what we need. The Supply Chair can also let you know which items are most needed based on current supply levels. Common items collected are laundry detergent, paper towels, bleach, stamps, Science Diet, etc.
Hold a bake sale, car wash, or event that would be popular in your department or group and collect donations for the HSCI. Distribute information about the shelter at your event to help educate the public. To help publicize the event, please submit an event notification form as a first step in planning the event.
A school or community-wide animal awareness week will help spread the message about kindness to animals. We have information in our lobby area available to use for class projects.
Eagle Scout or Class Projects
The HSCI has benefited from several Eagle Scout projects. For example, the project to enhance the landscape around the front of the building was completed in 2018, the dog pens project to put down landscaping fabric and pea gravel on the dog pen walkway was completed in 2021, and the project to design and construct cat scratching posts was completed in 2022.
Consider an Internship
The HSCI has had many interns from ISU and Heartland Community College. Typically internships are limited to 1 – 2 people per semester. Most interns work with our events and publicity efforts. If you are a student interested in an internship, we encourage you to:
- Contact your department for details on requirements
- Email us for an interview (3 – 5 months in advance suggested)
- Send us your resumé
Assignments vary considerably depending on department requirements, timing, and skill/interests. We appreciate any assistance in these areas.
Event Notification Form
HSCI depends on the support of many to help pets in need. If your business or organization is planning an event to benefit HSCI, we would love to know about it.
Small events are likely to be approved quickly. Larger events may need further discussion or committee approval. Depending on the notice given for the event, HSCI has different timelines for publicity within HSCI.
Approval Process For Using The HSCI Logo
If you would like to include the Humane Society of Central Illinois logo in any flier, publication, sign, or otherwise, you must submit a written request to HSCI for approval prior to using the HSCI logo in any way. This request may be made in the comment section of the Event Notification Form. Once a decision has been made, the contact person will be notified in writing.
Thank you for your support!
Thank you for your support!